Friday, March 1, 2013

The Most Positive Day in the World


A few weeks ago, I read in Family Fun magazine that March 1 was World Compliment Day.
I was intrigued! Who doesn't love a sincere compliment?
Looking into it, I discovered this initiative is less obscure than I might've thought!



World Compliment Day on...

If on March 1st every person pays at least three people
in his/her environment or (social) network a genuine and sincere compliment
we will definitely create the Most Positive Day in the World!”

I just really like this idea! Surely we all can think almost immediately of three people that we would love to pay a compliment! There are so many people that I know I am genuinely appreciative of. Sharing (and receiving!) compliments feels great any day, and a specific day where it's more of a focus can only make for a genuinely positive day!


The initiative, in contrast to Valentine's Day, Secretaries' Day, and Mother and Father's Days, is not commercially oriented, so everyone can afford to participate. ‘World Compliment Day’ simply addresses the basic human need for recognition and appreciation. Nobody wins commercially, but everybody gains emotionally. And therein lies its power.

"A sincere and personal compliment costs nothing, but the impact on the recipient is huge," says Hans Poortvliet, recognition professional and the driving force behind the annual event in the Netherlands. "Nothing stimulates more, gives more energy, makes people happier and, as far as business is concerned, increases productivity and commitment faster than sincere appreciation. So why not use it a little bit more?"


So, now that you know, who can you compliment?! I like the idea of sharing a kind thought with not only the people in my usual circle, but also strangers or lesser known acquaintances. Have you ever had someone in front of or behind you in the line at the grocery store that could clearly use a little pick-me-up? Maybe your waitress or cashier? Someone on the opposite side of the gas pump? Well, maybe today you could compliment their outfit, their hair, their smile, anything that you notice that is sincerely nice about them :) 


For those you do know, click through to this cool fillable Award to email them- super easy and kinda cute :)


One compliment I definitely have on my mind is for YOU! 
If you read my blog and are still here by the end of the post, then YOU are an interesting, thoughtful person. No matter what, you are someone that effects the world around you, even if you might not think so. There is surely selflessness inside of you. Thank You for supporting me, my family and the stuff I share here :) Oh, and if you like, you can grab the graphic at the top as an 8 x 10 printable :)

Now go have The Most Positive Day in the World ;)

Use hashtag #complimentday and @Complimentday to spread the word too!


Photobucket

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...