Monday, April 30, 2012

Yummy Go-To French Bread



This recipe is a favorite around here- we all love this amazing homemade french bread!
I wanna say my Mom got this recipe from Jodie Pearson, a childhood friend of mine's Mom- I love having people to associate with recipes. Makes me recall memories relative to them each time you make it :)

Anyhow, when I cook Italian or some sort of soup, I very often add either this yummy bread or these breadsticks to it. This dough is simple and the salted crust makes the finished product delish!


YUMMY GO-TO FRENCH BREAD


In a small bowl, mix:
     1/2 cup warm water
     1 Tbsp. sugar
     2 Tbsp. yeast
Set aside.


In a large bowl (I use my bread mixer), mix:
     2 cups hot water
     2 Tbsp. sugar
     1 Tbsp. salt
     2 Tbsp. oil
     3 cups flour


Add yeast mixture that was set aside and Mix.


Add 3 cups flour and mix until smooth.


Let dough sit for 10 minutes, then punch it down. Punch down every ten minutes for 5 times.
NOTE: I think only a few times I've made this have I punched down all 5 rounds, simply because I don't give myself enough time in advance of a meal generally! Three times will be sufficient if you need :)


Mold into 2 loaves and place side-by-side on a cookie sheet. Slice slightly through the top. Brush with one egg white, then sprinkle kosher salt. Let raise 10 minutes (I've also skipped this and been fine).


Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes. Enjoy!


I love that this recipe makes two loaves at the same time. The second loaf makes for the BEST french toast ever the next morning!



Photobucket

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...